Baked Beetroot, Feta & Tomato Recipe | with Aphrodite Feta & Toasted Pita
- 250g/ 8.8oz Aphrodite Barrel Aged Feta PDO
- OR Aphrodite Marinated Barrel Aged Feta
- 5 medium beetroots
- bunch of cherry tomatoes (around 10)
- 4 tbsp EV olive oil - 2 for feta | 2 for tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 large pita bread lightly toasted, cut into triangles
(1) Trim beetroot stems to 2cm / 1" and preheat oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
(2) Wrap beetroot individually in foil and bake for around 45 mins or until a skewer can easily pierce the skin. Check every 20 mins.
(3) Wrap tomatoes in a foil pouch with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and black pepper on a baking tray. Add to oven for 20 mins.
(4) Peel beets while warm. You can use a paper towel to hold the beets and rub the skin away with another paper towel. The skin should remove easily. Allow to cool, then slice.
(5) Increase oven to 200°C/ 400°F. Place Aphrodite feta in oven proof baking dish, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 8 mins until feta is golden.
(6) Brush with honey and thyme to the feta and cook for a further 2 mins.
(7) Serve with sliced baked beets and tomatoes on toasted pita.