Brisket Burger Recipe | Pulled Beef Brisket Burger with Galotyri Coleslaw
- 50g/2oz Aphrodite Galoytri PDO
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1kg/2.2lb piece of brisket beef
- ¼ cup whole egg mayonnaise
- ¼ red cabbage, trimmed and finely shredded
- 1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 green onions, trimmed and sliced
- 8 baby cos leaves
- 8 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- BBQ SAUSE:
- 1 cup (250ml) BBQ sauce
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tbs malt vinegar
Note: This recipe needs to be started the day before.
(1) Combine the coriander, cumin, brown sugar and paprika in a bowl and season with black pepper. Rub the spice mixture over the brisket, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
(2) The next day, preheat the oven to 160°C /325°F. Place the brisket on a wire rack inside a roasting tray and pour 500ml/ 17oz of water around the outside.
(3) Cover the whole tray with aluminum foil and slowly roast for 4-6 hours or until very tender, occasionally checking that the liquid hasn’t evaporated, adding more water if needed. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
(4) Meanwhile, to make the BBQ sauce, combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside to cool completely.
(5) Place the galotyri and mayonnaise in a bowl with 1-2 tbsps of water and season with salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. Add the cabbage, carrot and green onions to the bowl and mix well to coat.
(6) Using 2 forks coarsely shred the beef and stir through 1 cup (250ml) of the BBQ sauce. Divide the lettuce leaves between the toasted burger buns, top with some of the brisket and the coleslaw.
(7) Drizzle with extra BBQ sauce and top with the bun lid.