Manchego & Ham Carbonara Recipe | with Farmhouse El Esparto Manchego Artesano
Recipe Creation, Photo & Styling: Kirsten Jenkins
- 100g / 3.5oz grated El Esparto Queso Manchego PDO Curado – Cave Ripened
- 1 egg, plus 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 100g / 3.5 oz leg ham or bacon, finely chopped
- 400g / 12 oz pasta of your choice
(1) Whisk manchego, egg, egg yolks and pepper together in a bowl and set aside.
(2) Place ham in a cold large non-stick frypan over medium-low heat. Cook for 5-6 minutes until crisp. Remove pan from heat.
(3) Cook pasta in boiling salted water according to packet instructions. Drain, reserving ¼ cup (75 ml) cooking water.
(4) Add the pasta to a bowl with cheese and eggs, tossing to evenly coat. Add the ham and any rendered fat from the pan to the bowl and toss to coat.
(5) Add the hot reserved cooking water 1 tbs at a time until the sauce is a creamy consistency.
(6) Serve with extra Manchego.