Mac & Cheese Recipe with Kefalotyri | Aphrodite Kefalotyri Saganaki
4 - 6
- 6 oz / 170g Artemis Kefalotyri Saganaki
- 50g / 2oz Le Conquérant – Beurre de Baratte Butter AOP – French Butter
- 300g / 11oz dried macaroni
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 cups / 750ml / 1½ pts full cream milk
- 150g / 6oz clothbound cheddar, grated
- 120g / 4½ oz breadcrumbs (we used Japanese panko)
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
(1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
(2) Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Cook pasta for 3 minutes less than the packet instructions, then drain.
(3) Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 7 minutes or until softened. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low and add mustard, paprika and cayenne.
(4) Gradually add milk, stirring to remove any lumps. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
(5) Add 150g/5oz of the kefalotyri and all of the cheddar and stir to melt. Stir through the pasta until well coated and season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to an ovenproof 25cm / 10" high-sided skillet or oven proof dish.
(6) Combine the breadcrumbs, olive oil and remaining kefalotyri in a bowl and scatter over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until macaroni is golden.