Macaroni Cheese with Will Studd Selected Farmhouse Cheddar
- 200g / 7oz Vintage Clothbound Farmhouse Cheddar
- 50g / 2oz Le Conquérant – Beurre de Baratte Butter AOP – French Butter
- 400g / 14oz dried macaroni pasta
- 1 leek, sliced
- 50g / 2oz plain flour
- 750ml / 25fl oz / 3 cups hot milk
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
(1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add a good pinch of salt.
(2) Add pasta and stir until water has returned to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook pasta at a fast simmer for 8 minutes.
(3) Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté leek until soft.
(4) Add flour and stir well to incorporate. Reduce heat and ‘cook’ the roux for 2–3 minutes, stirring often.
(5) Gradually add hot milk 1 ladleful at a time. Whisk in well, until it’s all incorporated.
(6) Add mustard and tomatoes, reduce heat and cook for 3–4 minutes, stirring often.
(7) Remove from the heat, add ¾ of the cheese along with the basil and stir well until melted. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
(8) Drain pasta and stir through the cheese sauce. Pour into an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and place under a hot grill until golden brown.