The Greatest Ever Mac & Cheese Recipe |Will Studd Vintage Clothbound Cheddar & La Couronne Comté & Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 45g/20z butter, coarsely chopped, plus extra for greasing Le Conquérant – Beurre de Baratte Butter AOP
- 150g/5oz coarsely grated La Couronne Fort Aged Comté AOC
- 50g/2oz finely grated G. Cravero Parmigiano Reggiano
- 250g/9oz coarsely grated Vintage Clothbound Farmhouse Cheddar
- 250g/ 9oz dried elbow macaroni
- 35g/ 1oz (¼ cup) plain flour
- 750ml (3 cups) organic milk, warmed
- 1 tbsp chipotle purée (optional)
- 30g/1oz (½ cup) panko breadcrumbs
(1) Preheat oven to 190°C/ 374°F.
(2) Cook macaroni in a saucepan of boiling salted water to almost al dente (4-6 minutes). Drain. Butter a shallow 1.5-liter ceramic or enamel baking dish, then add the macaroni.
(3) Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add flour, season to taste, and whisk until well combined. Add milk, whisking continuously until thickened (12-15 minutes).
(4)Add chipotle purée, cheddar, and Comté, and stir until melted (3-4 minutes).
(5)Pour sauce over macaroni and stir to combine. Sprinkle panko and Parmigiano-Reggiano evenly over, bake until golden (10-12 minutes), and finish, briefly, under a hot grill to crisp the panko crumbs and cheese (3-5 minutes). Serve hot.
Note: Chipotle purée is made by processing chipotle peppers in adobo in a blender to a smooth consistency.