The greatest ever Macaroni and Cheese recipe!
[photo source: Laurie Profit] and BBC Good Food]
- 45 gm (unsalted) butter, coarsely chopped, plus extra for greasing Le Conquérant – Beurre de Baratte Butter AOP
- 150 g coarsely grated La Couronne Fort Aged Comté AOP
- 50 g finely grated G. Cravero Parmigiano Reggiano
- 250 g coarsely grated Vintage Clothbound Farmhouse Cheddar
- 250g dried elbow macaroni
- 35g (¼ cup) plain flour
- 750 ml (3 cups) organic milk, warmed
- 1 tbsp chipotle purée (optional)
- 30 gm (½ cup) panko breadcrumbs
01: Preheat oven to 190C.
02: Cook macaroni in a saucepan of boiling salted water to almost al dente (4-6 minutes). Drain. Butter a shallow 1.5-litre ceramic or enamel baking dish, then add the macaroni.
03: Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add flour, season to taste and whisk until well combined. Add milk, whisking continuously until thickened (12-15 minutes). Add chipotle purée, cheddar, and Comté, and stir until melted (3-4 minutes).
04: Pour sauce over macaroni and stir to combine. Sprinkle panko and Parmigiano-Reggiano evenly over, bake until golden (10-12 minutes) and finish, briefly, under a hot grill to crisp the breadcrumbs and cheese (3-5 minutes). Serve hot.
Note Chipotle purée is made by processing chipotle peppers in adobo in a blender to a smooth consistency.