Cheddar & Leek Toastie Recipe | Will Studd Selected Cheddar & Le Conquérant Butter | Studd Sibling Recipe
- 60g/2oz Le Conquérant – Beurre de Baratte Butter AOP – French Butter
- 100g/4oz, grated Vintage Clothbound Farmhouse Cheddar
- 1 small leek (per person) finely sliced
- 4 thin slices of good quality sourdough bread
- Pepper to taste
(1) Caramelise leeks in a large cast-iron pan with butter on low to medium heat until sweetened. Take your time on this, as the longer, the leeks sweat and caramelize, the better this dish tastes.
(2) Add grated cheddar and season with pepper. Butter bread and place the cheese and leeks on the unbuttered side.
(3) Place toastie on medium heat and turn 180° after a few minutes to ensure even cooking. Flip once golden and repeat (usually around 4 minutes on each side).
Variations: You can add white wine and crushed garlic to the onion mix if desired.
Match with a glass or two of farmhouse cider.
Studd Sibling tips for toasties:
- Use day-old bread.
- Buy dense sour dough bread.
- Grate your cheese and turn your sandwich to ensure even meltability.
- Score your toastie with a knife before cutting so the cheese does not go everywhere!