Greek Cheese Recipe | Yemista Capsicum with Aphrodite Galotyri
To make a Vegetarian version – replace meat with ½ cup of rice
In collaboration with Sweet Greek
4 - 6
- 1 tub Aphrodite Galotyri PDO
- 125g / 4.4oz Aphrodite Barrel Aged Feta PDO
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 red capsicums
- 1 green capsicum
- 2 small zucchinis / courgettes
- 1 large eggplant / aubergine
- 1 cup olive oil
- 500g / 1lb minced beef
- 2 large onions, grated
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups short grain rice
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 large potatoes cut in wedges
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup mint chopped
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- ½ cup parsley chopped
- 1 cup water
(1) Preheat oven to 180°C/ 375°F
(2) Slice off and put aside the tops of the tomatoes, capsicum, and zucchini. Scoop out the pulp from the tomatoes and zucchini with a spoon and keep this for later. Seed the capsicums without piercing the skin. Sprinkle the interior of the vegetables with salt and set them aside.
(3) Cut the eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out most of the flesh to form two shells.
(4) Blanch the eggplant and the capsicums in boiling water for about 3 minutes and drain. Arrange all the vegetables in a baking dish. Finely chop all the flesh that has been scooped out from the tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant.
(5) Heat half the olive oil in a pan over high heat. Add your meat and cook until brown. Add the onion and garlic and all the flesh from your vegetables. Cook this mixture for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
(6) Add your rice, cinnamon, allspice, and oregano together with the tomato paste. Take off the heat and add all your fresh herbs and feta.
(7) Spoon the mixture into the vegetable shells until they are three-quarters full and replace the tops on the tomatoes, capsicums and zucchini.
(8) On a baking dish, arrange the stuffed vegetables and put the potato wedges in between them. Sprinkle a little salt, pour in about 1 cup of water and then drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Bake in a moderate oven for about 1½ to 2 hours. If the tops are browning too quickly, cover with foil.
(9) Serve hot or at room temperature on the bed of Aphrodite Galoytri.