Halloumi Fries Recipe with Panko Crumbs | Will Studd Aphrodite Halloumi Fries
The Studd Siblings are frying these Aphrodite Halloumi fries up for the Super Bowl, football games they don’t watch and midnight snacks.
2 - 4
(1) Cut Aphrodite halloumi into thick strips.
(2) Place the flour on one plate, the beaten eggs in a bowl and the panko flakes in a third bowl. Set up a baking paper tray after that.
(3) Crumb your halloumi sticks by dipping one into the flour, followed by eggs and then the panko flakes and lay on the baking paper. Refrigerate the crumbed sticks for around 15 minutes.
(4) Fill a deep pan with vegetable oil around 3cm up the sides of the pan. Heat the oil over medium heat to about 180°C. Your oil is ready when you add a crumbed haloumi stick to the oil, it bubbles immediately and turns a golden brown colour within about 1 minute. Shallow-fry your haloumi sticks, about 1 – 2 minutes in total, turning occasionally with tongs to fry evenly. The fries are ready when they are golden brown and crispy. Fry the sticks in batches, if necessary, so as to not overcrowd the pan.
(5) Drain the halloumi fries on paper towel and sprinkle with salt to taste.
(6) Serve with lemon or a yoghurt (yoghurt with lemon zest)