Brown Butter and Garlic Pasta Recipe | Greek Pasta with Aphrodite Galotyri, Brown Butter & Garlic
WHAT DO DO
In collaboration with and available at Sweet Greek Shop, Melbourne
- 80g / 2.8oz Le Conquérant – Beurre de Baratte Butter AOP – French Butter
- 1 tub Aphrodite Galotyri PDO
- 30g / 1oz pine nuts
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- 250g / 8.8oz short pasta, such as fusilli, farfalle or vesuvio
- 2 tsp cooking salt for pasta water
- extra virgin olive oil
- ½ bunch of sage (8 leaves)
(1) Place pine nuts in a single layer on a fry pan (no oil) on medium to low heat. Cook until golden brown and set aside.
(2) Crush the garlic in a mortar and pestle with a pinch of salt. Mix together with the galotyri and pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
(3) Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water until al dente, or according to the directions on the packet. Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water, then drain the pasta.
(4) Warm a small amount of olive oil in a large pan over low heat. Add in the hot pasta and pour the galotyri mixture over it. Gently fold through. If the pasta is too dry, add some of the reserved pasta water.
(5) Melt the butter in a small pan on medium-low until slightly brown. Stirring constantly, add the sage leaves until the leaves are dark and crisp for around 1 minute. If you think things are getting too dark, add a splash or two of pasta cooking liquid to the hot pan; this will halt the browning process.
(6) To serve, pour the pasta into a big bowl, making sure to scrape all the dressing from the pot. Take the brown butter and sage, drizzle it over the pasta, and listen for the delicious sizzle! Sprinkle with pine nuts and serve immediately.